My invention is not found in a patent search, now what do I do?

In order to protect your invention, so that you can approach manufacturers and/or reveal your invention to the public, you should attempt to obtain a U.S. patent by filing a patent application in the USPTO. You can file either a provisional patent application or, alternatively, a non-provisional (formal) patent application. Once the patent application is filed in the USPTO, you can use the term “Patent Pending” and efforts may be made to commercialize your invention. The filing date of your patent application establishes a right of priority to a patent against others who file a patent application for the same invention after your patent application filing date.

View all FAQ

Join Our Newsletter

Be the first to know about client news, new services, industry headlines and more!